I'll also add an insider trick here:

do NOT reveal everything on that vitae if there is an interview or a separate cover for merit scholarships.

Why not?

Well, because (assuming that you have a DEEP resume), you can hint at stuff that you DIDN'T feel the need to shout about when you give more info. My DD did this.

She didn't list starting her own profit-share business and being featured in the newspapers and local media as a ten year old. She didn't list her political activities at all. She didn't list her community service via piano performances at a local nursing home (which she's done for many years). She didn't list all the Shakespeare she's seen, nor the informal stuff that she's done just because she felt like it (developing a musical adaptation of Hamlet, for example, or composing, or game development).

Please note, though, that this is the kind of hat trick that ONLY an HG+ student probably can do-- because it requires a lot of time, and a lot of FREE time on top of a stellar transcript, and most high school students simply can't do it. You'll stand out as being even MORE interesting than they'd originally thought, and as modest and comfortable with your abilities.

Saying LESS than you could say is often a good strategy, by the way. Nothing irritates committees quite like wading through entries that are clearly inflated to sound better or more important, or the suspicion that many of them are DUPLICATES of the same basic entry...

So that is how to say "Hi! I'm the other 1%. You should offer me money."

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.