... and see, I have the distinct sense that depth and commitment very definitely matter-- even at regional public institutions-- when it comes to more elite opportunities, such as merit scholarships and admission to more prestigious programs within those campuses.
That three things are needed:

1. time of commitment (can't start in your junior year)

2. NATURE of commitment-- can't be all about "me-me-me"

3. additional bonus points for unusual array of interests that paint a coherent picture of who the individual actually is.

Also necessary-- volunteering that seems long-term and genuinely about intrinsic altruism, and leadership experience of some kind.

That seems to be what separates my DD from her peers who have not gotten the kind of merit awards that she has.

So it matters. Not just at the Ivies-- this just cut my DD's undergraduate costs by 90% at a state flagship.

With all due respect, maybe "people" isn't all of us here, because my level of interest in the Ivies is pretty low, and DD's was even LOWER, if that were possible.

I honestly believe that in her case in particular, 4-H (one of the "least favored" activities in Bostonian's quote-- which is deliberately cherry-picked data, btw, for anyone who is curious-- it's a SPECULATION that this might be so via extrapolation-- there's not data behind it) was probably distinctly helpful... and her involvement in it was sufficient to have picked up several thousand more in merit scholarships from THAT, too. But this is institution specific; land grant public institutions are going to view 4H and FFA favorably, and private schools probably less so.

If only the parents of 4th graders actually had crystal balls to know exactly what those kids are going to WANT when they are 12th graders... but nobody really does. Some very particular engineering disciplines in particular, the public land-grant schools may well BE the "best" school at any price. Personally, I would not "groom" my child for an Ivy admission by steering him or her away from otherwise positive and wholesome activities in favor of things that were less meaningful, but which might be viewed more favorably by an admissions committee in ten years.

The honest truth is that there IS no way to game the system with elite schools, because by the time someone figures it out with enough time to IMPLEMENT that "plan" the tactical advantage evaporates and the applicant looks just like everyone else that thought it was a "sure thing" five to seven years ago.

So in that sense, I agree. It doesn't matter-- because even if it did, and even if you knew... it wouldn't matter in the time-frame that you have.

What I disagree with is the idea that one shouldn't worry about anything BUT the Ivies. THAT, I think is wrong, even for PG children. I'm not alone in thinking that the system is broken here.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.