Originally Posted by shifrbv
I have requested some feedback from DD's teacher on this but I've yet to hear anything (even after 3 days)
It seems the earlier posts were about the lack of teaching by the substitute teacher; The current experience is with the regular teacher?

... the teacher sends out a weekly update with the math topic. However, because our district is heavily into ability grouping, what I've discovered is that the update has no correlation to what is being taught in the groups.
If the district was truly supportive of ability grouping they would presumably incorporate ability grouping into their communications, including the weekly update. There seems to be a disconnect or discrepancy here.

... no homework (the district is very strict on this policy)
May I ask, is this a high-performing district?

Even though DD is 99% in reading, she has no idea who the girls are in 2nd grade GATE because there is no co-mingling of the kids.
This does not sound consistent with a school believing in ability grouping.

Parents can help bring about change, especially if this is a public school in the US. For example, being informed of the learning outcomes for your DC's ability group in math, having a syllabus or schedule of lessons, receiving a weekly update pertaining to your DC's ability group in math.