It does sound a little like "apraxia". I know Mite's dyspraxia affects his reading aloud. And I do think for Mite it is the mind racing ahead. In school they have the kids do the DIBELS. His aloud scores for reading on the DIBELS are below age/grade level, but his comprehension scores are above age/grade level. So, that, imnsho, tells me he's reading faster than his brain can process the motor skills to read aloud.

For me, I have dyspraxia and apparently, from the stories I've heard about my childhood, I did not start speaking until I was over 3 years old. Now, I'm a bit like your son, I think. I speak very rapidly, run out of breath, and even lose my voice after speaking for too long of a period (more than 5 minutes). My neck literally gets tired when I speak. I feel my body is not processing the onslaught of words hitting the working memory fast enough to put them into efficient motor skills. I know my thoughts are leaps and bounds beyond my mouth.

One thing I think HELPS me, is music. I'm a vocalist and whistler and I play the harmonica (things you learn about WillaFite8^). I've had to learn how to take long deep breaths to sustain the air flow in each of those. I tend to breathe that way, too. Deep breath talk talk talk talk deep breath talk talk talk talk.

Thinking about your son and writing this right now, I'm wondering which came first, the breathing that way or the ability to do those musical talents. I do remember when I first took a voice lesson at the U of CO, the professor was shocked at how long I could hold my breath. I remember my swimming instructor in high school also being surprised about that.

So now I wonder if I have a high capacity to take deep breaths that I've developed to deal with my weird manner of speech.....hmmmmmmm....got me to pondering now GG!!1

Anyhow, let us know what the speech therapist says. I'm very curious.

Willa Gayle