I don't usually read this forum, but your title caught me.

I've learned from the responses that my gut telling me NOT to get a dog was correct. smile My son's stuffed "friend" keeps him sufficiently distracted.

DS, (6.8) has to be reminded of things that he has had on his morning schedule for a couple of years now. I thought he would be nearly independent by now, but obviously he's not; when I have to explain how to put his socks on.

We set out his backpack with all work, etc. inside at the door the night before. I set out his outfit the night before. My husband makes his lunch and breakfast in the morning. All DS needs to do is get up (takes 15 minutes with our prodding), go to the toilet, get dressed, do his morning chores (make bed, feed cat, empty trash cans) and eat. Some mornings we find him just sort of standing in his room talking with his "friend" and messing with a new invention. Oh, and he will also pull out a magazine and read in the bathroom while using the toilet. (I blame DH for this one.)

I second what another said about having too much time in the morning. I've recently noticed that even though hubby and I rise three hours before take-off, and DS two hours before, we run into the, "I've got extra time, so I'm going to make a diorama of the universe!" argument.

Just this morning I told DS that getting ready in the morning is a lot like jump rope. You have to time your entrance and exit precisely in order to make it.