My son needed to skip K and go right into 1st. But that wasn't going to happen. K was a waste but he was happy enough. They did end up making him a reading group of one (reading chapter books...not beginning chapter books but real 3-5th grade chapter books) plus they had additional reading enrichment time with another teacher with a group of advanced reader pulled from all the K classes. All in all though it was way too easy for him.

So we took advantage of a school of choice Dual Language program 1/2 day English 1/2 day Spanish for first grade. The English side was still too easy and I am not thinking there was much differentiation. They didn't think he was as advanced as I did. Spanish portion of the day kept him learning and challenged and even frustrated at times (which was good for him).

Second grade two gems of teachers (one Spanish, one English) and boy did they get him (they were also gifted certified) and at the end of the first 9 weeks were suggesting a skip to third. Well no way was I going to skip him out of this lovely setting. They continued to differentiate (really, not just lip service) and he thrived. Inside the classroom he subject accelerated math. She would get the class working on a warm up exercise, show my son what he was going to do that day...took 3 minutes, and then he worked independently while she taught the rest of the class. Loved 2nd grade. Qualified for gifted.

Started out this year in 3rd. Just skipped him to 4th a couple of weeks ago. He is happy with the skip so far. He is having to work on his writing (which is probably just fine for third grade but a bit lacking for a 4th grader about to be tested in writing). Everything else he feels is at a just right level. For now.

I assume he will need another skip at some point (only because people keep telling me that). We probably will homeschool middle school (maybe allowing for another skip then if he needs it).

ETA...I guess we take it one year at a time...and if we feel he is too young at any point, there is a way to slow it down, homeschool a year in high school where he doesn't earn any "credits" but does self directed project based learning, volunteer or community service and other community learning opportunities, travel, etc. But I can't worry about how old he will be in the 11th or 12th grade now when he is 8. I have to make sure his education is just right fit for him now.

Last edited by Sweetie; 10/08/13 08:08 AM.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary