Originally Posted by DeeDee
Ultra, I'm not second-guessing your choice for your DD, but wanting to know your logic here. I have always felt in making these (harrrrrd) choices for my DS that it's a safer bet to go with RX meds that have been long studied, known to not be addictive, etc. rather than unregulated and less-studied herbals/naturals. Can you explain a bit more?

DeeDee

I can't answer for ultra (obviously! LOL) but this http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Should_children_take_antidepressants.htm is just one of many scary things I have read about anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds for children. After reading everything here - the rhodiola still seems safer and more mild to me... My DS doesn't seem to strenuously need a particularly strong rx for anxiety and honestly from everyhting I have read and been advised by medical professionals he just isn't close to bad enough to take the risk. On a whim I tried the rhodiola on the advice of another mom in a similar situation with a 2e kid (who incidently is American but with Russian parentage and well you get the idea). I researched it, read about it, talked with her... tried it. And it worked - and I didn't notice any side effects and he seemed fine when I weaned him off in May. That's just my non-scientific, personal perspective. My poor kid is very stressed honestly. I know that sounds ... well I am not sure ow it sounds but he is. He's hard on himself and being 2e as many of you know can really be anxiety produicng and stressful... he was sad and irritable but not so bad off that I thought he needed some scary prescription antidepressants. Personally I think my little guy will be okay as he 'grows into' his diability and as he gets to an age when things like handwriting stop being such a big deal, ykim? In the meantime, using rhodiola temproarily to help him through the stressful months seems harmless and it did work. So, totally not arguing here and not going back on firth or who has more scientific evidence in their favor or anything like that... just giving you personal experience and feelings to your question of 'why.'