Originally Posted by ultramarina
Frankly, given the less than impressive record of pharmaceuticals for depression and their potentially frightening side effects in kids...

Ultramarina, I personally agree with this. After resarching it, I'd give my kid this herb rather than the drugs out there if I see a positive difference and based on the studies. I worry much less of the effects of this herb than I do the pharmaceuticals. I am more comfortable with it than using melatonin for him quite honestly, which I do give him during school season during the week. By the way, in terms of whether I 'really' see a difference when he uses it, I would liken it to the melatonin. People could say I only 'think' I see a difference in how easily he falls asleep when I give melatonin but we do see a huge difference when I give him melatonin and when I don't - it's really clear. Same with the rhodiola - it was that obvious. Interestingly, and another aside, I have noticed that in many countries the use of melatonin is much more restricted and much more caution is issued against kids using it than here in the States (in most of Europe I believe a 'prescription' is needed to obtain it? so I was told anyway; in contrast, here I have been encouraged by more than one doc to use it and my friends with children with ASD are also encouraged to use it and do use it for their kids). After working in pharmaceutical litigation for a number of years, I also do not buy into the mindset that our country is better at warning and protecting re drugs and supplements than other countries. I have worked on more than one case in which very dangerous pharmaceutical drugs were black-boxed and restricted in many other (what some may deem less-than)countries and side efffects were properly discussed and warned about and were covered up here and the FDA just dropped the ball. Anyway, just some rambling thoughts.... Even though I do use melatonin out of what I feel is necessity only during school weeks, I am not that comfortable with it. I am actually more comfortable giving him rhodiola than melatonin. In my opinion, I think it helps with fatigue and stress and I think the reason it helps with my son is because he is mentally and physically fatigued and stressed during school due to his 2e issues. Summer is more relaxed so we take a break from it then but will start it again in the fall when school starts. I think the studies look promising, the results I have had with it are good and there is no evidence that it is toxic/bad at all. Again, just my thoughts and experience.

Last edited by Irena; 07/30/13 06:47 AM.