That's about what my vision is, with some astigmatism complications. I lose acuity at about my arm's length. I can certainly read street signs by recognizing shapes of words. I can tell you the number of fingers at that distance in bright light by moving my head while looking at the hand. Without my glasses, though, I feel ill, get a horrid headache, and lose depth perception. With poor depth perception, I run into things, lose my balance, misjudge how fast things are moving, and I trip over even small obsticals.

You seem to need a second opinion, though, since the vision numbers don't sync with your sense on the child. Kids can be hard to test. DS initially tested at about 20:200 because the eye doc asked him to start reading all the way to the left side of the eye chart. He struggled and squirmed as he tried to make out anything to get started, making us think his vision was horrid. It turned out he was trying to make out the teeny tiny '20/200' code to the left of the huge letters. Without my glasses, I can't even see that there's even anything printed beside the letters.