Could you ask the optometrist to simulate this level of vision for you? What about a second opinion?

As someone who was found to need glasses in 1st grade because I could not see the chalkboard, I can relate. 20/200 means some things are blurry but you still see color and form... just not as distinctive. I progressed to having mere inches of near vision that I can see without correction during my childhood.... but I can still find my glasses (sometimes more with feeling and memory than sight) and walk through a room without my glasses. I'd think watching me, you'd know I couldn't see well but be shocked at how poorly I am actually seeing.

If people around you were less distinctive at a distance many social situations would be difficult to navigate. I know that people seem less predictable when you can't see the nuances of what they are doing. As you off course know, blurry is not the same as blind. It's just seeing less distinction in the shapes as you test the limits of your range of sight.

When you can't see, you don't know that you are seeing anything different than what others see and you compensate as best as you can. I'd say your most convincing evidence will be in your child's response to those new glasses. It should be HUGE for her and there will be no doubt once you see that.

It will be interesting to see if there is an impact for her in her vestibular/proprioceptive issues. I have been learning about those with my son who has visual/motor deficits. From what I've learned so far I can't think of how they would relate. Seems like different areas with so many children who have 20/20 vision having the vestibular/proprioceptive issues. Maybe someone will have more helpful knowledge about this.

Hope that helps! And hope your family sees wonderful changes ahead for your daughter. (BTW WOW on the bike riding!)

Last edited by HappilyMom; 07/04/13 01:15 PM.