How variable is attention span among children and at what point is an attention span unusually long for a 2 or 3 year old?

I've noticed my child isn't having a lot of success in structured classes and part of the reason is that the activities are always too short and change rapidly, so it's just really frustrating for my child. This made me wonder how long kids normally stay on one task and when I read that it was normally just 5-10 minutes for 2-year-old it made me wonder how unusual it is for a child to spend over 2 hours playing with a new toy, or 30-60 minutes regularly. I know everything is variable among children so just because the majority have shorter attentions spans I wondered if maybe 30% of kids have long attention spans or if maybe this more unusual. Really I feel like I must be misunderstanding something when I read about typical attention spans.

I don't have any strong predictions about my child's IQ and don't think this is a gifted issue but I was curious and this forum seems like a logical place to ask about attention spans in children so I hope you don't mind.

Last edited by MotherofToddler; 06/27/13 01:56 PM.