Originally Posted by JonLaw
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
That would not surprise me one bit, coming from a HG/HG+ student.

We fully anticipate that DD will find many of her college courses easier than some of her high school work.

It's about the VOLUME.

With the hubris of the young, however, this individual has conflated those two things in a grossly distorted fashion.

Once again, huh?

What's being distorted here?

He has concluded, based on ONE semester at ONE college, in a series of admittedly introductory (and non-majors level, if I'm right) courses which SHOULD be at-- and in one case, below--the level of those very same AP courses, that AP coursework is "harder than college." Yes, I'd say that is probably hubris in someone who hasn't yet taken anything upper-division. Heheh.

Why wouldn't a class that you nominally recently completed seem "easy" compared to the first time?? Particularly at the 100 level? Good heavens, if it didn't, then the author probably isn't college-ready.

As for the reduction in volume, that's what I'm talking about. He may find the volume lighter in college. I don't doubt it. But no WAY do I accept that what was sufficient for A's in those AP high school courses in terms of quality would be acceptable for them in a collegiate setting.

Now, the effort required to produce cogent essays is probably far less-- because as noted, it's his second time through the material. wink

As for the comparison of introductory German and AP US History (which is notorious for its workload, incidentally), that's a spurious comparison to start with. Very different learning tasks involved there.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.