Originally Posted by Dude
Conversely, it was my impression in high school that I was getting less homework in AP than my compadres in the non-AP equivalents... to which they would respond, "At least I don't have to write nearly so many essays!" This was a trade in which we both considered ourselves winners.

My perceptions are slightly skewed, mind you, by the fact that for my most labor-intensive classes (namely, math), I solved the problem of excessive homework by not doing it. Also affecting my perceptions was the fact that I could crank out an essay of acceptable quality, on any topic, in one hour. So take that for what it's worth.

Ditto. Pretty much exactly. My main claim to fame in college was the ability to walk into an exam cold and fill a bluebook in an hour with well-structured writing. LOL.

Take my word for it-- in modern high school reality, there are two important differences in addition to the fact that these things are fundamentally reversed now (that is, the AP classes have a lot MORE work associated with them than the standard versions do).

1. Quality ain't what it used to be. Not by a long shot. So those not-so-rigorous classes with less writing also don't ask students to produce much in the way of excellence, either... and even less so now.

2. More is just more, not better. It's not that the quality expectations are SO much better in AP, actually. Appallingly.

AP students are taught--specifically-- to tackle the kinds of multiple choice items which will appear on AP exams. Yes. They spend class time on this now. As opposed to cranking out acceptable quality essays.

I.will.be.so.glad.to.be.done.with.this.garbage. This is such a perversion of what I consider education to be that it is disgusting to me as a human being.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.