Originally Posted by evelyn
This makes so much sense and I can't tell you how irritated I am that the extremely expensive and highly recommended neuropsych person did NOT do a lot of the follow-up tests that folks on this thread have suggested!
In defense of your neuropsych, you aren't exactly dealing with the run of the mill client for this neuropsych exam. Yes, it's their job to tease out what's going on, but when you have a child presenting with such an unusual profile, it's hard to see the whole child. Take each exam like this as one of the steps towards figuring out the child. My son will be going for his 3rd go round of evaluations as we narrow in on what the issues are, I ask better questions, and my spouse and I make more focused observations. I am hopeful that our upcoming exam will get us answers, but it might be a process of ruling out what we're not dealing with.

Polarbear brings a HUGE amount of experience gained after addressing the needs of her unusual child and going through the same process of circling in on a diagnosis and treatment.

OK, I'm not sure anyone's asked it of you -- do you see slow processing speed in your son? Does the number seem consistent with what you see and observe? My daughter has near average processing speed with a strong working memory. This means she can work out multi-step math problems in her head, but it takes so long that I often wonder if she's forgotten the problem or decided she's not going to work on it. My son has gifted-range WM and PSI, and this same thing takes maybe 1/3 the time. What we do see with him, though, is that even after we can tell he's got an answer, it takes several moments for him to form the verbal or written response. Make sense?

From your description, it seems like it might be wise to circle back to the vision issue, giving the evaluator the description of how he kept looking back and forth on the coding test. It could be as simple as that, or it might be part of the issue and not all of it.

What do you see in the way of perfectionism or anxiety? Anything? That kind of behavior is not dissimilar to how my anxious kid started acting when she was spiraling down the perfectionist well.