The first step in IEW is to take a sentence you read and pick three/four key words from the sentence and write them on a line. Then the child speaks the words back to a parent in the form of a sentence. Next the child writes what they just spoke to the parent. -- Most kids will say the sentence back substituting their words in-between the key words. (My DS could memorize and repeat exactly and that is okay, despite the goal of using your own words eventually.)

The second step is to perform the same task on a simple paragraph (5 sentences). Now it becomes a little more challenging to just memorize, which is good because they start creating their own sentences around their key word outlines.

When they have this down well, they can start to create key word outlines for their own original works. At first, the child can just start talking and the parent can help them pick out the key words from their sentences and write them down. As you look at the outline together, the child can decide which sentences fit and which should go. Next the child can begin the writing process using the key word outline you helped to get down on paper. At this point it is really quite easy to write because the main messages are right in front of the child.

Eventually, they learn to write their own key word outlines and begin to add quality adjectives, strong verbs, and -ly words (adverbs). From there, they learn alliteration, metaphors, etc.

I've used this same program with my two children who have learning disabilities and it works wonderfully for them as well.