Originally Posted by DeeDee
I would like so much of this public shouting and judgment to stop: the shaming, the overdiagnosis, the pressure to medicate or not medicate. I suppose that's unrealistic of me.

DeeDee

DeeDee, I'm with you on this.

I'm a "non-medicator" (I could have written HowlerKarma's posts in this thread, I agree with them so strongly) BUT I feel like I'M judged for "not helping" DS for denying him meds.

The "why/why not" is a futile argument because each child is unique, and each decision made by parents is appropriate for their child ONLY. It is for this reason that I make an honest effort in supporting the people I know who medicate their kids. They know where I stand. My decision not to medicate my DS is not appropriate for my friend's 10 year old, or my other friend's 12 year old, etc etc.

There are so many things that factor into this decision that really shouldn't such as the media, peer pressure, guilt, stigma, overworked doctors who rush, school based teams with insufficient child specific information, etc.

My bottom line is that instinct is what guides me, for my DS8 only. I would never question the instinct of another parent who was guided down a different path, for their child.

Last edited by CCN; 05/21/13 09:27 AM.