Originally Posted by ElizabethN
Originally Posted by marytheres
Okay so is this offensive or something? I am very sorry if it calling a person who does Functional Behavior Assessments a "Functional Behavioral Assessor" I should know better, but I don't. I am quite new to this world and always just referred to them as assessors - hence the acronym. I did not realize that this would upset or offend anyone. What should I call them? Should I go back and change all of my posts?

It's not that it's offensive at all, and I have no intention of asking you to revise your posts. What it is is confusing. I don't think anyone calls themselves a "Functional Behavior Assessor" anyway - "Behavior Assessor" makes sense (although I think Behavior Analyst would be more common), but FBA is sort of a weird term to use referring to a person. It's also weird to use to refer to a person in a thread where there is active discussion going on about Functional Behavior Assessments and how they affect our kids. If I came into a thread here and started talking about the Wang Information Services Corporation by its acronym in a discussion of IQ testing, it would also be confusing, even if it were perfectly OK in another context.

Oh, okay, "BA" (for "behavior analyst") it is from now on. Just a matter of dropping the F, which is fine by me b/c less to type smile Again, I just don't know ALL of the lingo, yet. Seems like it really isn't that big of a deal, really. And it seems like no one else was all that confused. Of course, my sincere apologies for such a mistake and potentially causing so much confusion. Thanks for being nice about it and not condescending - like I said, I am new to all of this but learning fast with help of people on here like yourself. smile