Originally Posted by marytheres
Just my experience but FBAs that work primarily with children with autism seem to see autism in everything, FBAs that work primarily with children with adhd see adhd in everything, and on and on...My child's disabilities and gifts are more complicated for that type of person, jmo. I prefer to get someone I have chosen and that I have looked at the qualifications and I have interviewed and that I feel confident in to analyze my child.
Huh? An FBA is not a person, it is a process. It can be performed by anyone with appropriate training - could be a school counselor, a behaviorist, I suppose even a teacher if she has training in analyzing behavior. It is not a diagnosis. It is an analysis of the "function" of behaviors. As I said earlier, I don't really like this language, because I think it puts the onus on the child in an inappropriate way. But this reaction sounds sort of over-the-top. You can certainly dispute the FBA after it is written, and ask for another opinion, but I'm not sure you can force the school to pay for your own personally-selected professional in the first go-around instead of using the qualified people that they have in-house.