Originally Posted by Pemberley
2 days later there was an incident where a teacher (not her regular classroom teacher) scolded DD for "not paying attention" and "looking away". DD got very upset because she had no idea what she was doing wrong - as far as she knew she was "just doing my work.". They were unable to calm her down and removed her from the classroom.

Awww... the poor little thing. frown I'm sorry that happened to her. (Here I am wishing the school staff would be stricter with DS8, and then I hear a story like yours). Perspective sure does help.

It happened again this morning in line up... one of the known bullies in grade 4 came over to DS's line up and started talking to him and a couple of his classmates in line. This boy was dominant, leaning forward and poking one of the kids (not DS). He didn't stay long enough for a situation to develop that would have required adult intervention.

Right after he left, DS zoned out (this happened right when the line up started walking into the school... DS followed along, while still zoned out). I seemed like DS had been over stimulated by the interaction and zoned out as a result of it. (He has an atypical sensory profile, which is one of the reasons the school thinks ASD, even though sensory differences are not diagnostic criteria). That particular episode seemed to be sensory related.

I just wish I could be a fly on the wall in the class all day, so I could watch him and see for myself.