In a related insider tip, there-- with a grade-skip and high levels of asynchronous skill development, there is also a real danger that a child will assume that his/her weakest skill set is what defines him/her as a student.

Because all of the interventions/accommodations seem to focus on hothousing or working around those more age-appropriate skills.

My DD is convinced that she is "merely average" as a writer (not true other than maybe if your comparison group is "AP Lit students three to five years older than me") and that she "struggles with math." (Uhhhh... NO... she's finished with algebra II and has such good understanding and retention of high school math that she was hand-picked to be among a handful of peer tutors to middle and high school students nationwide. I'm thinking that isn't "struggle" the way most people think of it.) I'm pleased to note that she's finally begun seeing the truth of this in working with students who truly DO struggle.

She doesn't see how her other skills are still really extraordinary even among the academic peer group (for example, she now has "humanities friends" and "STEM" ones, and she's the only crossover).

It's kind of a warped self-image. That's the one consequence of acceleration that we would have really liked to avoid. She has a tendency to interpret "I have to apply some effort to this activity" as "struggle" because everything else is still not anything like appropriate, and therefore still just as effortless as it was before the acceleration. I hope that makes sense. This is one of the conundrums that I simply haven't found any way around, as hard as I've thought about it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.