Ah, so "gifted" magnet in name only. With no entry requirements, I can see as how a 98th percentile kid might be out of the norm then.

FWIW, I don't think that most of the schools we've dealt with have much experience in interpreting test scores or have much experience dealing with kids like my dd14, either, but we have had a few who did a good job recognizing that her needs were rather different than most of the other GT ided kids and who advocated for her as a result.

I just don't have any experience with grade skipping this early in the schooling process. I suspect that there are benefits to doing it sooner and perhaps somewhat greater risks in that you don't know what the child's long-term trajectory looks like. However, none of us can have a crystal ball as to long term trajectory and, if you really feel that her needs cannot be even somewhat met without the skip, there are certainly MG kids who do quite well with grade skips. I wouldn't say that it is only HG-PG kids who need to skip sometimes.

eta: One thing that I suspect would really help your dd out in acceleration is her high processing speed. That has been the one piece that has been a challenge for my grade skipped kiddo b/c her processing speed is truly average, which is very out of step with her other abilities.

Last edited by Cricket2; 02/11/13 01:49 PM.