I have been meaning to log back on and thank Zenscanner as well. That is a wonderful resource. We own nearly a third of those books and read them all the time. I wonder if this has something to do with the state we are in right now. I can't say that we go into in-depth philosophical discussion because of these books, but we have used many of the characters to describe emotions, personalities, preconceived notions, prejudices, character growth, etc.

Also, we have read about 25-30 novels a la Charlotte's Web with more mature themes that she not only understands but demands. Then there are the biographies of famous people that detail a person's entire life, including death. She remembers almost every little detail of every book she has read and easily draws comparisons. We were reading The Wizard of OZ (again) today, and I asked if she thought the Tin Man wanted a literal heart. She quickly answered that she thought the Tin Man just needed love to grow his heart like the Grinch's had done. She does stuff like this all the time.