With all respect, to me it is almost irrelevant whether or not one is gifted in a subject, or whether one finds it easy or not. I believe algebra e.g. is an important subject for every educated human being, and that if one finds it difficult, one should be especially encouraged to take it and master at least the basic tools. I am troubled by the idea that a student should not be required to take a subject he/she finds hard. I also firmly believe that college students do not generally fail freshman math because they are ungifted in math.

After 40+ years of teaching math, I have found that all that is needed in 99.9% of cases, to master a reasonable amount of any mathematical subject, is motivation and dedication, and hopefully a qualified teacher. My gifted students who tried to slide by by have regularly underperformed, even failed, while my less gifted ones who applied themselves have consistently over performed, even excelled.

Many people on this forum who admit they find math challenging seem to me like wonderful examples of motivated students who refuse to let their challenges in math shut them out from its benefits. I love to have such students. The gifted student who won't work is my frustration. I myself failed out of college before learning this lesson.

I was ungifted in English and maybe poorly taught in high school, but fortunately for me I went to a college where everyone was required to take expository writing and where every course (except math) emphasized essay writing on every test. Although math was my specialty, my greatest pride, after committing myself to working and studying and going to class, was in finally achieving an A- on a single English paper (about Portrait of the Artist as a young man) as a senior.

If we come out of college with skill in only the same subjects as before entering, I think we have somewhat wasted our tuition.

Last edited by mathwonk; 08/21/12 09:22 AM.