Originally Posted by CCN
All three of us (DS8, DD9 and myself) are really prone to car sickness. A friend of mine has a gifted son (17) who is the same. She said out of the blue one day "I bet that's a gifted thing. Gifted people get car sick."

Warning - a bit of humor about to happen, not intended to make fun CCN, but I can't resist smile Anyway, here goes: I used to have a beagle that got car sick. We couldn't take her anywhere in the car. She was a smart beagle but I'm fairly certain she wasn't gifted smile

I just stuck that in there for a reason - my EG ds gets car sick easily. My not-quite-as-high IQ kids can ride through anything, in anything, drop from any height roller coaster whatever and not get sick. I doubt *any* of it is related to level of giftedness - I suspect people who aren't gifted get carsick in equal proportions. Same with sensory issues - they do show up in gifted kids, but they also show up in non-gifted kids.

All of which is not relevant to this post, except to say that whether or not a child is gifted, when you're looking at things like sensory issues you need to focus on the issue, not assume that it's a gifted quirk and will never change/outgrow/whatever.

Sensory issues are a bit tricky because sensory dysfunction can exist all on it's own or it can be a symptom of other things. My dd10 is an extremely sensory child and when she was little with an undiagnosed vision challenge her sensory challenges were huge. OT was a *huge* help in lessening the impact of it, and it did get better (significantly) as she became older.

DS12 (EG) has some sensory issues but they are related to Developmental Coordination Disorder. They aren't as out-there-obvious as our dds were, but they have been longer lasting and I suspect some of them will be with him his entire life - but, he's also getting rather adept at coming up with his own workarounds for them as he grows.

I'm also a lot like CCN describes - I need light, can't think straight in the midst of twoo much sound, and can't stand heights. I have never thought of myself having sensory issues, but I have wondered if I didn't have DCD (like my ds) once he was diagnosed and I learned a bit about it.

Sooo.... fwiw, I wouldn't worry that it will be a life-long challenge at this point, but if my ds was still very young as yours is, I would take him for an OT/sensory eval. It really did make a huge difference for our dd, and most of the "work" is really fun for young kids.

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - the other thing I meant to include was, sometimes 2 year olds (and 3 year olds and 4 year olds) do just go through phases of things like this - so it might be that's all this is.

Last edited by polarbear; 08/11/12 09:29 AM.