I would say that if there are significant behavioral concerns, then doing a psychological evaluation would be appropriate. Also, if I were testing a current K student whose last IQ test was 2 years ago, I would, in fact, want to repeat that testing.

However, I would not have a psychiatrist do any of that -- they are not generally trained in personality assessment. "Just talking to him" is not likely to be helpful anyhow -- my professional experience has been that doing projective testing (Rorschach, storytelling tests, drawings, etc) has been much more useful than just talking to a GT-maybe-2E kid in understanding what their inner world is really like -- most kids' behaviors make *sense* when you take the time to really sit with them.

I agree that "pediatric bipolar" is so massively overdiagnosed that it would be wise to find a practitioner who had a skeptical viewpoint on the topic and who was well-versed in the other possibilities.

I also agree that I would also not be comfortable with having a school psychologist do the evaluation. In most cases, they are *also* not trained in this kind of evaluation, and the amount of training and supervision they get is nowhere near what a psychologist gets. (There is a constant back-and-forth politics-thing in which psychologists want school psychs to stop calling themselves psychs because they really really really aren't.) Plus, they are tasked with answering the question of, "Does this kid need services?" not, "What is this kid really like as a person and what is going to help him?" And they typically have *zero* training in GT/2E issues.

Unfortunately, testing is one of those things where free tends to be worth every penny.