Work is work and it's generally going to be dull and boring, mostly because you have to spend time doing things you have zero interest in actually doing. But you do it to make money so that you get to eat and not be homeless. Things that are enjoyable tend to not generate revenue.

I think this is a very sad perspective to have. I have worked at a number of things where I liked what I did, and even when a majority of the actual tasks weren't exactly intrinsically rewarding, I was able to make it interesting, and I've always been able to feed my family. That said, my most enjoyable times working have certainly been when I have worked for myself, and I have pretty much decided that I am willing to sacrifice a certain amount of money to avoid having to work with/under impossible people.

I seriously urge anyone who is interested in deciding on a first career or looking to make a change to take a day to browse O-Net.

Pay special attention to the section on tools. They are available for free download, and link directly across to the occupational titles in the O-Net database.

Last edited by aculady; 10/13/11 03:48 PM. Reason: typos