Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
For these kids to be successful and happy, we have to release our preconceived notions of what success is and help our children overcome that as well, right?

I don't want to be a killjoy, but I don't agree. Most passions make excellent hobbies, but poor career choices. I certainly don't want my children to grow up to find jobs that reward them all day, only to go home and worry about providing for their children at night. That's assuming they can even find a rewarding job related to their passion in the first place.

Maybe my perspective is skewed because I didn't follow my passion, but my reward comes at the end of the work day, not during it. When I considered following my passion, I thought how annoying it would be to have to work with/under people who would take the fun out of it. I chose something I was good at that paid well, and left ample time to spend with my spouse and now my children. It's easy to leave work at work because don't care that much about it.

I continued my passion as a hobby because it meant so much to me.... until I had kids. Now they mean so much more to me that I'm not even the same person I was before. If I had sacrificed traditional success for something that fell off the pedestal I had placed it on, I would certainly regret the decision.

FWIW, the passion I made a hobby out of was actually my second passion. The passion I had for horses (and my desire to own a horse farm when grown up) vanished almost instantly when my father brought home a stereo system with a cd player and 15" woofers when I was in 6th grade.