This makes me kinda sad. I'm a happy introvert, so I don't do a lot of socializing. I saw some cattiness going on when I was a military wife in those groups, so I simple stayed home and talked to a few wives I liked.

Everyone says that school "teaches kids about the real world."
I've thought before that that wasn't true, because the real world doesn't operate like junior high. Apparently, it does... unless you act like a hermit like I do and hang out with yourself most of the time.

How the heck can I prepare my kids to deal with these people when I make it a point not to deal with them? If I start hanging out with someone and I get a bad vibe or they are negative or whatever, I simply stop seeing them. I don't even work with anyone, so I get to avoid office politics, too.

I will likely force myself to get along so my daughter has friends and play dates now, though. (Although, so far I love all the people I've met in our local group, so maybe it will all be fine. I did get a look or two when I showed up to a meeting with my sitting up by herself 4 month old, though.)

I'm really unsettled about the stuff I am reading in this thread. I have idealistic visions of finding mama friends to hang out with while we watch our kids play together. It seemed like an easy way to make friends lol.

Last edited by islandofapples; 08/27/11 08:40 PM.