From your original post I am making an assumption that she has ADD and insomnia.

Our child has a dx of ADD and insomnia that we treated fairly successfully with alternative therapies for several years, until the beginning of this year. My ten year old PG child started saying things like the example you gave, and for whatever reason, in our particular situation, it concerned me enough to find a child psychiatrist.

Our child now has an additional dx of anxiety; the anxiety was causing some sadness due to it being untreated; I was sad to learn how difficult her situation had become from her perspective.

It wouldn't hurt to speak to a good child psychiatrist for an evaluation, especially since the teen years are before you.

A good psychiatrist will set you at ease as to how he or she rules out or diagnoses conditions; when he or she would recommend medication; also he or she will keep what you said and what your child said in confidence, but also meet together to explain what we all agreed has to be known among us.

edited to add: I read the ages you posted backwards. I thought you meant 12 was her age and 18 emotionally. I'm sorry.

Last edited by lightdance; 08/12/11 05:03 PM.