Originally Posted by athca
.... he can tell you amazing things about so many things but will write a 6 word sentence; illegibly with mispelled words, no punctuation and letter reversals when he has to write things down. His 3rd grade teacher (current teacher) indicated back in November that he was concerned with his progress. Around the same time DS was getting increasingly frustrated saying that other kids were teasing him that he was always the slowest and he had said to us that maybe he was too stupid for school....

Hi athca:
You have a lot to read and think about in the next few days before your next school meeting.

At some point soon, once you get a little more comfortable with all this information and ask more questions perhaps, I would suggest that you explain all this to your ds, if you haven't already. You might even put it in context of the bell curve. Just visually mapping out the bell curve (without numbers) and explaining the idea of it has been hugely helpful for my dds. You can tell him how unusually high his knowledge tested ("you're way out here to the right", how high his ability to figure thing out tested ("even farther"), and even how strong his memory tested. And then explaining how unusually low his processing speed tested (especially relative to the others), and what that might feel like. (A racecar in molasses? who's got a better metaphor? )

I bet he might have an "ahah" moment.