I really do think there's just a ton out there to discover. I think it's almost hard not to discover stuff.

About 10 years ago, I picked up a hobby, and started making a splash in an academic field. I'm kinda out of it now, due to the kids thing, but honestly, it didn't take much to "discover" something that other people are now taking seriously. Mostly it took being willing to be ridiculed by the people who taught me the basics, and whom I liked and respected very much. Most of them don't like talking to me anymore, but I get occaisional star treatment from others. It's wierd, frustrating, isolating, and generally not really worth the bragging rights for having done something academically good. (and it's not particle physics, either, historical textiles just don't have the same rep.)

Anyway, I think great discoveries are really about being willing to pay the price for the prize. I kinda forgot to look at the pricetag, or I mighta kept my darned mouth shut.

Since Einstein is the current flavour of genius, the example from his life is that darned patent office, where he hid his real work underneath his assigments... Anyone here remember doing THAT at school? I certainly do. It did not make me feel particularly well valued and respected for my genius, such as it is. (Obviously Einstien did get some real recognition in the end, but my understanding is that that was not all roses either.)

-Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!