Originally Posted by Nik
sorry Boston, somehow I missed that. I think what I am trying to say though is that in addition to the lack of "virgin territory", or maybe because of it, fewer people have opportunities to discover anything exciting for themselves since everything is all explained to them from an early age.

I believe this is the critical point, I suspect this early spoon-feeding kills the momentum, self confidence, drive, and lust for for exploring that would otherwise develop through the thrill of "discovering" things for oneself as a child.

I also believe there may be a lot of presumed "settled territory" today that may be settled somewhat erroneously but tends not to be looked at through fresh eyes because it is somehow perceived to be settled and taught as if it were so.

I agree on the "shoulders of giants" statement, however, I think there is plenty of time for studying what others have discovered after one has had the chance to make a few successful "discoveries" for themselves as a child. And even then, I believe it should be emphasized that what we think we know is always open for review/question.
Great comment. I was once on the side of teach as much as possible in the early years people. However, I have converted to believing a child will benefit from self learning and discovery as you mentioned.

Then again, I guess it depends on what you want for your child. Money and career success is not something I value. I think the early education may provide a competitive advantage at possibly an ideal time to provide a good head start for these types of goals. But I think if anything, it will either have no effect or even possibly a negative effect if the goal was to have the next Einstein.

Einstein was barely able to walk and talk before he was 3 years of age from what I understand.