Welcome Justin -
So glad that you delurked!
So� why do I have so many doubts about where he fits?
Because you haven't met 25 more kids just like him....I highly recommend an application to DYS, even with the current scores you have, doing the portfolio and the Map tests.

I didn't find the link to see where he is compared to other 6 year olds (was he in first grade at the time? Was it before EPGY? Will the school be doing MAP again soon? - I hope so) Inky - what do you see?

It may even be that the IQ and MAP tests show a very spikey profile with a 'bright' average. You may want to list the subscale scores just in case - or just look and count the 17,18,19 scores on individual areas of the IQ test. If you are seeing HG+ then I would bet that is what he is. You can try reading Deb Ruf's 5 level's of giftedness - as long as you remember that Level 3 is where PG starts.

Get a video camera rolling of your son doing his hardest math in his head, and talking about a super-hard book he read and why he chose that book and what he needed it for.

You can also visit hoagie's page and look and see if any gifted conferences are in your area.

Anyway - it took me seeing, with my new parent eyes, a few other HG+ kids to turn around and see my own child better.

((Cue Linda Ronstadt singing "Justine"
Don't forget about the little things our hearts do-oo-oo))
When I see this
He�s well liked by the kids, but � the feeling isn�t mutual. He�s lonely.
I think[B} 'move' [/B} so you can be near the new school.

Of course I don't know
a) if you have a house to sell
b) if it would create a killer commute for any of the adults in the family
c) how many babies live in that shoe with you
d) how bad 'not much to offer' is
d.5)if you have other family commitments that tie you to where you are now

or most importantly....
e) how many years you would expect to get from the school before he ran out of classrooms to hop to.

As far as I can tell - you have already decided in your heart that the private school is worth a try, but are feeling still a bit reluctant to turn your families world upside down to meet the needs of only one member. I can say from my experience that when a kid has special needs, then the parent finds themselves making choices that look odd to the rest of the world. And that's ok.

It might be worth talking some more about what your current location offers the other family members, how many kids are actually doing classed 'above age level' at the school, what the school has done in the past with kids who are 'way high' in just one or two areas and have run out of classmates.

Finally, I want to congratulate you on being honest, with us and with yourself, that as much as you love your kid, you weren't built to be all things to him. That shows very good honesty and very good self-aweness. 3 cheers for putting your air mask on first before assisting others. These kids are special needs, and the more you can give him by way of peers and teachers who 'get' him the better.

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com