I have lurked around here for some time, keep going and coming back. My 6 � yr old seems like he fits HG+ and his education has presented so many challenges already. I keep coming back here for ideas, silent (imagined?) camaraderie, and hope for the future. Finally we are at a crossroads where I think things could go very well next year if I do the groundwork now to make sure that happens. He has been self teaching for most of this year after a very rough year for K last year. He is now at 5.3 EPGY math (I read it was rigorous so started him at 2.5, but it doesn�t seem that challenging yet) and going strong, half way through Life of Fred Fractions and finding it to be intuitive and easy (he likes reading about a little kid being really smart and pretty dumb about life at the same time). He has high level analytical skills, but still writes at a snail�s pace. He hates to read, but somehow seems able to read anything as a means to an end. He plays intermediate piano and beginning (end of year) clarinet. So� why do I have so many doubts about where he fits? He hates classes that don�t challenge him, but thrives when the bar is set high. He still does nearly all of his math in his head so I do not actually know how he gets his answers. At times I think he doesn�t even know. He is a kid in motion, both mentally and physically, to the point of exhaustion for me. He�s loud. I�ve already made a nuisance of myself at school and feel like I am perceived as pushy and bragging when I�ve been rather desperately searching for a smoother path. After discussing the issue with a teacher again in looking for a better fit next year, I again feel like crawling under a rock. I am filled with doubts, insecurities, sense of responsibility to do right by ds and even my dearest local friend thinks it is my teaching that is responsible for ds� high achievements. He didn�t even hit gifted on an IQ test (and yes, there were many, many problems with testing so hard to say) and his only achievement data is from regular (2-5? 3-6?)MAPs through the school, both shortly after turning 6 (215 math and 189 reading but broken down to K level vocab and 5th grade critical thinking). Now we have three schooling options on the table. I realize the limitations to advice from strangers, but please still help me sift through and predict potential pitfalls and successes with the rich BTDT and brains of this insightful online population.

Our choices right now appear to be 1) fully homeschool 2) Private school where he will be working at academic levels in independent subjects 3) Part time public school where he may be able to do higher level material, but I will have to push for it.

He would be thrilled to homeschool full time. I, on the other hand, find that I am tired, sore and sometimes ready to curl up and cry when I don�t have a break from him. It sounds awful, but he�s actually such a delight and I wish I had the energy and passion to keep up. IF we decide to homeschool ft next year we would probably move away from a formal math program, especially if he gets through the elementary EPGY, and do a science heavy curriculum that applies the math he has learned. I have NO IDEA what I would do about language arts. He�s hard to teach and currently is doing everything on his own. How wrong is that at 6!

I just don�t know if I can do it.

The private school we found is amazing. It is not a gifted school, just one that believes in teaching to the individual. He would be at age-grade and be in the appropriate groups for individual subjects. Sounds fabulous. But� our family would have to relocate to a place where there is not much to offer other than the school. Really? Seriously?? We do this for one kid? But he was more himself the one day we spent at the private school than he has ever been at the school we are at now. Kids seemed VERY accepting of each other. We would send our other kids there too. The expense is doable, but with sacrifices. Is there some argument for dedicating this money toward extensive testing and curricula suggestions? Gifted schools and Tiger moms are not in our future.

The option of part time school is what we have been doing for the last two years. It has kind of, sort of worked and often not. I endure the venomous critiques on our drives home. His teachers mostly like him. He�s well liked by the kids, but � the feeling isn�t mutual. He�s lonely. Just today as I brought up with his teacher tweaking a class he abhors, she was under the impression things were going great. Sigh. He�s a nice piece of furniture. They observe bugs in class, chart weather, etc. He just wants more purpose and depth. Teacher willingness to accelerate him is lukewarm, though we do have the full support of the principal and the district enrichment coordinator. Sure, we could force the issue, but a full grade acceleration would make minimal, if any, difference. The conversation today did yield a new strategy for the remainder of the year to try to raise the bar for him in the class. If this can be done then I *think* next year we could continue part time, not move, and I would have a few breaks. I would have to be a bother to each of the teachers in turn for independent tweaking in each class to avoid pushing for acceleration. If I push for acceleration I�ll be talking about trying to move him to 4th and up classes. He is just a kid genuinely passionate about genuine learning.

Clear? Thoughts? Thanks from a blundering newbie.