We have some oops moments - I have never shown DS(4) the beginning of Nemo. he will not cope with it. When he saw UP he kept asking where the lady was. When I told him, he was close to tears for her. So now we always skip past the early movie bits. And he ALWAYS asks me to switch off movies that are too violent/scary for him. I like to think he has learnt his limits here. but still if he sees something that worries him on tv, he always turns to me for reassurance and says "its not real, it's just on tv hey mom?" was a bit of a problem with the recent floods in Australia when he walked in as I was watching the footage of this.

His hamster died last year and since he knows that my father died when I was little he is convinced that his hamster is with his grandpa. he knows about death and its finality, but kept asking when they will come back. To me it's sad when he says "I wish my grandfather was here to see my beautiful bedroom and my precious things" - it breaks my heart and brings back the pain of his death. BUT for others who hear my 4 year old talk confidently about his grandfather and hamster being dead - they are totally freaked out by it. lol

Two big oops moments that I had as a child that my mother reminds me of often: when I was about 14 someone at church had just had a baby and apparently told us all about childbirth, how painful it is blah blah. I don't recall that part but I do remember going home and sobbing about how much pain my mother went through to have me and how terrible I felt for being a typical teenager earlier that week. She said that I sobbed for nearly an hour in her arms about that.

The other, also as a youth group we went to a baby haven to do a service project. I came home sobbing at these little babies that had no one to love them and asked my mom if we could adopt or foster one. My mom was already at this stage in her mid 50's and a single mom.. so it was not an option, but she says that she was overwhelmed at how emotional I was about all this hurt in the world and how UNFAIR life seemed.

I am also totally moved by movies and books - I cried like a baby in brother bear. And Beyond Borders (Angelina Jolie) - had me sobbing and sad for months! When I read Harry Potter 6 after I finished the book, late at night in bed, I lay down, put my arm over DH's sleeping body and cried. He woke up stressed that something had happened and all I could say was "he died!! I cant believe he died!" he was a bit ticked off when he realised I was talking about a book and not our child sleeping in the next room...

so it's definitely a big thing to learn to deal with all this emotion when viewed with a mind so much older than our kids are.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)