Oh boy, we have had a ton of oops - you would think we would learn.
Disney films, books, Santa and pals, classical music concerts - you name it I think we've had it.

When DD8 was 5 we were at a town band concert and they had a handbell chior. I use to conduct a chior when we lived overseas so she was pretty excited to see one again. Well, then they did a duet - it was a lovely piece, but before they were 1/4 of the way through it she had crawled into my lap and was sobbing hystericaly into my shoulder about how could anyone write such sad music and how could they play this without crying. It tooks a few days for her to calm down over it - she kept hearing it in her mind.

We avoided the "Bridge" issue because the day we were supposed to go see it a friend called as we were walking out the door and warned us not to go - thank goodness. Since then she has been given the book twice! We haven't let her read it because I think she will identify with the girl too much and not be able to handle it either.

She now acts as the "emotional police" for DD3 and makes DH shut things off if she thinks it is going to get too "bad" for her. She also snuggles with her through parts of movies that she remembers scaring her or bothering her.

When we've moved she has been known to take parts of the house with her! One time she took a small piece of leftover carpet, another time it was some dirt from the backyard and leaves from her favorite tree. She then claims that there will be no other house for her in her whole life. And it has taken her upwards of a month to accept the new place as home.

DD3 also seems to have attachments to our houses - she still, after 8 months claims to hate our new house and loves our other house and wants to move back.

The first few times we had cases of this we were so shocked I'm sure we didn't react well, but I have gotten much better at recognizing them for what they are and giving lots of hugs and empathy to her to help her overcome them.