Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
So I'm wondering if others have had these kinds of situations come out of nowhere with a child suddenly manifesting an INTENSE emotional response to something that seemed like it should have been just fine.

What happened? What were you thinking at the time (as a parent)? What did you do to help your child? Do you feel guilty or okay about it now?

Well, OK. I thought of some things, but since we just rearranged our own behaviors so much, I kind of put this out of mind. Until DS turned 5, he could not stand it if his clothes got wet. At all. As in a few drops of water on his shirt or pants. He was scream "SHIRT WET!!!!! or PANTS WET!!!!!!!" and then he would remove the offending item(s). Wherever we were. Loads of fun in crowds. And, as I mentioned before, we just modified our behavior in such extraordinary ways to avoid the possibility of small child getting wet, and we carried spare clothes everywhere.

Not anything we did, so we don't feel guilty about it, but definitely an inappropriate intense response to something that seemed like it should have been fine. He had noise OEs too.