Well my son has a lot to learn yet about learning without constraints because I know I hold him back to some degree yet. I worry about him just being a 7 year old and he talks about college like it's happening tomorrow. He's only entering 4th grade in the fall and while I realize that's an accomplishment for a 7 year old I know that had I let him he would likely be further along then that but I worry about the maturity VS content issue arising too. Today the kids were feeding some goats and he says "so how do we know which ones are boys and which ones are girls?" yeah there are some very very basic things we have not touched on yet. I really want him to just hang onto that innocent boyhood forever but *sigh* I know that's going to come to an end sooner rather then later. I told him (for now) that only girls have babies so we don't know right now because none of them were popping out babies. ha ha ha. We moved onto the deer real quick after that. *snicker* In some ways I know I must be a bad mom for this but....*sigh* I'm just not ready for that yet and I don't know that he is either. shocked ( My son likes to share EVERYTHING he knows with anyone who will listen so.....I don't know that we want to talk about all of that if we don't HAVE to......today. Maybe tomorrow....or the next day....or 10 years from now. *chuckle*

I think it's great that your son has strong bonds with his friends. My son has some good friends but there is a boy in the neighborhood he wants to hang out with so bad who just has so little time for him and I feel so bad for my son. shocked ( He has been asking to take up skateboarding now in hopes that this kid will want to spend more time with him since that's what he's in to right now. Well this kid and the other boys he runs with are not the nicest kids and they have been pretty hard on my son at times and I told my son that a skateboard will NOT make him like those boys and that he doesn't need friends like that. My husband and I do hope to move to an area with a more promising school district for our daughter (the temperamental artist) and quite possibly some day even my son if it's a good fit. I am all for the traditional school setting if they can accommodate and enrich a child's learning abilities without just giving them extra worksheets to do or whatever. It's sad that "no child left behind" doesn't really apply to ALL children. shocked (

What an exciting study your son is doing! I am sure I wouldn't know how to direct my son if he were into something like that. Oh the things to look forward to as he advances....*sigh*

"Learning can only happen when a child is interested. If he's not
interested it's like throwing marshmallows at his head and calling it
eating." -Anonymous