Originally Posted by lisamac
Interesting that you said "Good luck" getting the MAP scores...that is EXACTLY the phrase our school psych used when we asked for them. She said they had nothing to do with grade level.
Just make a written request. You could also get a lawyer friend to write a letter on their letter head. Or ask the gifted school to call and ask for the actual numbers (not the percentile.) The idea is to look at various schools and say 'where would I have to put this kid so that he would be at the top 10% but not in the top 1%? 3rd grade,4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade?'

Each school has a different batch of kids in each grade level, so with the raw score of MAP you can compare 'apples to apples' - at least sort of.

The assumption is that teacher are good at what they do, and will teach to the 'readiness level' of the classroom where you child is, and as long as your child is near the pack they will do well.

Remember this?
At a gathering of 49 Nobel Prize recipients at the White House on April 29, 1962, John F. Kennedy noted that never before had such talent been assembled in one room, except, perhaps, when Thomas Jefferson dined alone.

I don't care what the number on the classroom door says - I don't want my kid in any classroom where he is getting the feeling that he is dining alone.

Get your tires checked and your oil changed and stock up on some great audio presentations. ((wink and smile))
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com