Hi, Well....I read it, mostly. smile
Welcome!!
I don't completely relate, because I was probably not quite as smart as you, and not so completely derailed. But most gifted adults on this forum (mostly parents) have some very interesting/disappointing educational system stories to relate. Heap that with health issues-denied and I can definitely seeing this messing someone up.
It is great to hear you are cutting through all the crap and getting back to business. Congratulations!

My dh is in fact a similar case, way out of line for the schools he was in, potential-wise. His educators and parents did place him in a full time gifted school for high school, but by then, as you say, the 'damage was done'. He did get some social awkwardness relief there, however, but he remains not so well placed in his career, fairly cynical and unable to relate to many of his "colleagues" who don't seem to be able to do any part of their jobs correctly. At least he had managed the almighty college degree first time out (though it took 8 years!)

Anyway, as to what sort of college to look for, if you mean community college, I am not sure there is much distinction from one to another. I suppose if you are willing to move, you would almost certainly do better in a community which supports art, science and intellectualism in general. Some of those places will be more expensive to live, of course, but it might do you good to get in a move.
My dh was able to get some of his classes paid for at the university we both attended by taking a janitorial position at the college. They allowed a certain number of credits for free to any full time employee.

As for what to study, and I know you didn't ask about that, you might want to reconsider whether giving up the pure math/science end of things is for you, that is of course a decision which will be much easier as you get further into your studies.

As to a transfer, sounds like you need to look for the most hard core math/science oriented school you can consider possible.

You don't mention sat or gre tests-- don't want your scores, but curious if you do well, super-well or 'meh' on these sorts of tests. This might make a big difference in your choice of transfer colleges. Proof of potential, as it were.