Hi Again to all you very helpful and supportive people who helped me back in May....My DS is in 2nd grade now. He was nominated by his 1st grade teacher for testing into the G&T program. He passed the required 132 on the OLSAT but scored under the required(132) on the COGAT-- he scored 124 last spring. He retested just last week and his results came in at 128. So, he improved his score but still didn't meet the required 132 to get an "EALP"(exceptionally able learning program). However, his consolation prize is the "math club" which basically is a pullout math program offered to a few kids who are way above grade level.

Now, do I take out the big guns? A neighborhood friend is a G&T teacher in a neighboring more progressive district. They do test but not Olsat nor Cogat and they don't rest everything on the results of these tests. She heard my cries for help. I really only wanted her opinion of how I should approach the school. It turns out that she has helped prep 3 other kids from our neighborhood to pass our districts requirements for tests by working with them and "prepping them". She volunteered to do the same with my son but I declined because I felt bad taking time away from her kids (they are 2 and 3yrs).

She did however sit with him to evaluate him. She gave him the interview sheet that she uses to screen kids in her district. She said they are 10 G&T problems and it usually takes 15mins to complete but he completed them with her in 2 mins. Okay, so I'm not crazy and he should be working on stuff like this. She said he doesn't even write stuff down..just looks up and figures it all out in his head. She was surprised. So, she ended up working with him on 3rd grade G&T level questions and he still was able to solve them.

Anyway, what do I do now? Keep asking to restest? Do I stop and take a break?? I would really like to figure out what stumps him on the tests..Is it the same type of question? My friends are all telling me to demand a sit-down..does it work that way?

I'm mostly venting today because I just got the news. Thanks. Would appreciate any feedback.