My DS7's Kindergarten teacher last year insisted he was gifted. I had him tested and he got a 121 on the OLSAT ( the required is 132 in his district to move on to the Cogat).

I decided it wasn't worth the gamble so I wanted to skip testing this year but his 1st grade teacher insisted he's gifted and who cares what the test says.. just get him tested so he can get into the program. So, I did and he raised his score by 12 points on the OLSAT and just made the entry mark but missed on the Cogat-- he scored a 124 (required 132).

I truly feel he's in the 150+IQ range just on sheer performance.. He's not been guided by any means but just can figure out how to read, do higher grade level math, etc.. he's always been full of endless questions and "great guesses" amazing feats of memory since he was 2years old, etc.. I guess all the landmark signs.. But he just can't pass the darned tests!!

Our family has many gifted people and many who have been tested from moderately gifted(me and his dad) to highly gifted-- my brother, my sis-in-law, and my uncle.. and profoundly gifted-- my cousin who was a violin prodigy... and many other cousins whose numbers I don't specifically know but based on personality I would say moderately gifted(a niece who is at Harvard).. SO,,, should I test again next year and hope that he passes the Cogat? Or am I just spinning my wheels? I mean, I guess considering he was able to increase his score on the OLSAT without any prep or practice shows maybe he just needs some maturity?? I don't know.. has anyone had a similar experience?