Originally Posted by Jonas
We go to the library and I let him think of a topic he wants to read about and then we pack up about 8 books on the subject and he'll devour them. Should I be more focused or purposeful? Will advancement into 1st and then 2nd grade next year help guide me and his educational pursuits? Should I encourage online parallel curriculum? The testing is not even over yet - but still wanting to know - Now, what?

Wonderful,no,yes,no, read some books! (Humor Alert)
OK that was the short answer -
Wonderful:Great story about the library - he has internal motivation - the holy grail of gifted parenting. It means that something is going well.
No:No need to be focused or purposeful at this age as long as he is not showing any major challenges, the school is interested and able in accomidating him, and he is challenging himself during library expeditions. Is there something you are seeing that makes you think you might need to be more focused or purposeful?
Yes: Getting in classrooms that aim towards older kids is a great way to start getting a child in a 'good fit' classroom. It may or may not be 'enough' but it's a great start.
No: I wouldn't jump into online curricula unless there is a specific need, or the child is asking for a specific topic. Many kids find that it's much more exciting to learn in groups, or have interests of their own that they would much rather spend the time on.
Read: 'Now What?' - observe your child, journal about your own 'gifted baggage' read Ruf's '5 Level's of Giftedness' and 'Iowa Scale Acceleration Manual' and this forum to see if reading what other families are seeing triggers thoughts that have been bouncing around in your head.

Enjoy,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com