My 6 year old son has always developed a keen interest of things and I have allowed him, following his lead, to learn more about different subject areas. He is a voracious reader and is increasingly fascinated by math - creating a page full of long equations like 25/5 + 5 - 2 x 3 + 9 - when left in his bed before we turn the light off.

Talking with friends who are past principals and current child psychologists - and after talking with the principal and her suggestion of possibly moving him into 2nd grade next year - mid year - I have finally made the appointment for my son to actually be assessed. I have not told him anything yet.

My life is very busy so I am not obsessively thinking about this. However, I am a bit stressed/unknowing about why I am doing this (even though I know it is just to get a good assessment on his ability and advocate for the best resources for him), and what test results really mean.

Just a good night's sleep and good breakfast and say that we are going to x tomorrow morning will be the extent of preparation he needs.

But what about me!?! I know that sounds funny. But can any of you share your nervousness or anxiety or maybe doubt before you had your child tested and then what you went through after?

Thank you!