Originally Posted by ColinsMum
...I did recently hear it said that in the upper ranges there was no correlation between OLSAT and IQ tests; I think that must have been an exaggeration...

I did see something on Hoagies about the OLSAT having poor correlation with IQ for gifted kids here :

However, a small study noted a potential problem with the OLSAT and very gifted children. While the correlation between group and individual intelligence tests is quite high for average scores, in this study that correlation almost disappeared for gifted scores. This means that while an average child will score very similarly on a group IQ test and an individual IQ test, a gifted child may not score similarly at all. And the study suggests that this group test may even result in a negative correlation for some gifted children: the more gifted the child, the lower the group ability test score! ["Investigations of the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test to Predict WISC-R Full Scale IQ for Referred Children" by Anna H. Avant and Marcia R. O'Neal, University of Alabama, Nov. 1986, ED286883] Though this study is no longer available from AskERIC, it can be obtained on microfiche from most education university libraries.
eta: I see that this same quote is in the thread you linked. Thanks smile. I also liked Dottie's comment on the other thread about gifted thinkers vs. high scorers on school ability tests. That is really the crux of what I am getting at. I am seeing kids who don't appear to be gifted thinkers to me who are apparently testing highly on tests like the CogAT.

That's aside from my local experiences b/c I don't think that test is used a lot locally. However, it does leave me wondering what one should make of a high score on the OLSAT then. Do we discount that b/c some highly gifted kids see negative correlations btwn IQ and OLSAT scores?

Last edited by Cricket2; 05/26/10 07:46 AM.