I agree totally with this. There are so many gifties out there that drop something if it is difficult. I also worked with my daughter on piano. Same issue with her - she was good, but did not like the practice. Now, she plays percussion and is writing parts for the bells. Aha! She did learn something and (sort of) appreciates it.

She will be in 8th grade next year. I have had a fight with her principal to have her take a developmental course at college this summer and skip 8th grade English. In 7th grade English, they learned pronouns for two months and moved to adjectives.

I worry about her ability to struggle with new topics. I want her to take Spanish next year instead of English. She will have to work at it since we don't speak Spanish. And since it is a HS course, she will be with other bright children - not the bullies that are low.

This will pay off later. I have seen so many giftie failures and this is the primary reason - they don't know how to learn and eventually, if they are successful, they will have to learn.