Thanks so much everyone!

We will definitely document more. We started a little, mainly for the grandparents who didn't believe what we told them. They couldn't argue with the video of him playing the harmonica at 11 months though smile

We really try to keep his "learning" just in the area of play and follow his lead. He showed us his interest in books pretty early on. I almost fell out the pew one day at church when he was 3 or 4 months old. He was looking at the Bible and my dh said, "oh, it looks like he is reading". As soon as those words came out his mouth, ds reached over and turned the page!! We don't really think he was reading of course - but it did show he knew how books worked.

We did call around and found one private school that would consider early entry. They have a K3 and a K4 program in addition to Kindergarden. They said they would consider him for K4 at age 3, but would not let him enter the K3 at age 2. We actually wouldn't want him to enter that early - so we do have an option in a couple years. They said they would test him and if he could do the work at age 3, they would just advance him to K4. The preschool he is in now is actually great. In his class they have curriculum in the morning - but its fun. They do art, have music (a music teacher comes in twice a week), have Spanish class (a Spanish language teacher comes in twice a week and reads books and tells stories in Spanish), plus they read to the kids every day. They also have lots of play time and go outside to the playground every day. I pick ds up after nap time (I work from home part of the day). So, he is in a great situation right now. The preschool really took initiative and moved him up to the toddler room when he was 8 months old (he had only been there 4 days). So, we are very happy that we found a place that really is intune to doing what kids instead of sticking to a calendar. We just didn't know what to do after the preschool years.
I continue to be amazed at how fast he learns things though. We went to an NFL game and had pretty good seats so we could see the field very well. My son watched the game and the crowd. We got home and my dh said "touchdown" and ds put his hands up the way the refs do when they rule a kick as good or rule a touchdown on the field. We were shocked he had picked up this "sign" with no read prodding from us.
We have been making it a point to let him lead the learning process now though - so no following him around with flash cards and such! We just provide opportunity to him to figure out interest (having lots of books around, musically instrument type toys, sports, etc.). So far - he likes everything and will let us know when he wants which experiences. I just couldn't believe the education system was so "messed up" for lack of a better word. We are supposed to be in one of the best counties in our state and just found out they when to reverse grading in elementary school.
Here is a write up about it:
Every single week Gwinnett teachers in grades K through 5 send home something called the "Weekly Folder" with each student. This document is supposed to grade the student's behavior in class for every day of the week. Each student is graded for each day with either an A, B, C or D. Sounds normal so far, doesn't it. But ... oh you're just going to love this ... here's the good part. D is the best grade you can get! A? Well, an A is the absolute worst grade! Right there at the bottom of the grading sheet you will find "D=Exceeds Standards C=Meets Standards B=Does Not Meet Standards A=Significantly Does Not Meet Standards

A parent writes that the school excuses this grading system by assigning words to the letters. Hold your breath ... here we go:

* A = Anarchy
* B = Bothers
* C= Cooperative
* D = Democracy

So - needless to say my dh has said my ds will not step foot in the public elementary schools!