When I look back on the development of my children as babies and infants, I see so many signs. Two Thanksgiving examples;

My daughter was a newborn (6 weeks) and we were at a large gathering for the couples and singles in my husband�s training class. My daughter had a wet diaper and I asked the women if they would mind my changing her in the gathering area where we sat. No one objected but many watched as my newborn held her gaze on me and raised her legs to assist my changing her as soon as I laid her on her back. Their reaction was my first indication that this was unusual. It wasn�t the first time and I hadn�t thought anything of it previously.

The second example was when my son had just turned 14 months. We were at a large formal table with ~12 adults (mostly strangers to my kids). My mother-in-law asked who would like to say Grace and my son spontaneously recited the Lords Prayer.

stbmom,

You certainly have a very gifted baby! My caution is in contacting the superintendent while your child is still a baby. WE KNOW that a gifted baby will turn into a gifted child, however, I can only imagine what the school superintendent is thinking when he/she receives a call out of the blue with a mommy stating that her baby will need special accommodations in the future.

My advice is to get an I.Q. test in a couple of years. I would advise the Stanford-Binet (IV if you can get it) because you can�t get a WISC until age 6 except for the Pre-School version which in my experience isn�t accepted at all by schools. I tend to consider it a �screening� myself so I wish I had saved that expense.

And like the wise moms above, document the development!

If you happen to live in IL, I can give you the research that we prepared several years ago and inform you of some of the caveats in the law.