Welcome -- and don't panic. It's great that you're aware of this when he's so young.

I second what Trinity said about documenting everything. Pay attention to the times you're out in public with your son, and he does things that make other parents look at you and say "Umm, HOW OLD is he?" That's always a clue that something's different with his development!

The Deborah Ruf book (Losing Our Minds) really is excellent, you must get that one ASAP. I wish I had had that one from the start.

What state are you in? And where are you getting your information about what your state will and won't do? If you're getting it from the school district, I would double-check all of that information from other sources.

Look up your state's Department of Education website and do some research there. Actually call the state Dept. of Education and ask questions.

Find out the state law about how old a child has to be when they start school. (In some states it's as late as 8 years old.)

Verify what the law is about transfers from a private school to public school (for example, if your son does K at a private school, does the public school legally have to accept him into first grade?) Your school district might not be aware of the law in this area.

Call all the private schools in your area and specifically ask each one what they would do with an advanced child who is ready for K but misses the age cutoff by a month. You might find one that's open to the idea of early entry.

Keep asking questions, keep pushing, and don't give up. Call your state reps/congresspersons and ask how they support gifted education. Get involved in any advocacy group you can find in your state. Since your son is only 12 months old, you have the gift of time. If you start now, things may change before he's ready for school.