Hi questions,
Hope this helps:
We have recently applied to DYS program for DD7. While she had FSIQ WISC-IV qualifying score, we have NOT done an achievement test yet. When I initially called to inquire, they did say we COULD substitute a portfolio for one of the tests if we had one qualifying score.
As I understand it, we did not send in enough work for them to make that determination from her portfolio.
If I could go back I would have just arranged for her to take the WIAT or Woodcock Johnson before we applied. FWIW.
We have decided to have DD7 take an achievement test, probably the WIAT because that's what our tester uses and Insurance is going to cover it.
Of course I would like to see her get in, but it's not earth shattering if she doesn't.
To me it's worth investigating, even if they ultimately say no. Maybe it's not a good fit. Maybe it would be the best thing that ever happened to our family.
You will never know if you never send the application in. The counselor I talked to was very nice and helpful in explaining the letter to me.
There is absolutely NO sense of embarrassment if it's not a good fit, anyway.
If you have qualifying scores on IQ testing AND achievement testing, I believe you would be in very good shape to apply.
There is nothing to lose by applying, and if they need more data, they will let you know.
IMHO the letters of recommendation are a good idea. Sometimes we think what our kids do is normal, because it is normalized for us. A teacher, friend, neighbor, church person, whatever, may really see what your child is doing as exceptional and can express that effectively in a letter of recommendation.
Good luck to you questions and Zia's Mom.
It's clear you all are paying attention to what's going on with your kids and will take care of their needs one way or another.

Incog